22 Jan 2013

Idli Podi


One of the versatile ingredient of every south indian household is this 'Idli Podi'. Though I wasn't a very big fan of this podi, before coming here.... now I've become one of its greatest admirer, not only b'cos it cuts out my preparation time by half but also b'cos it carries all my amma's manam with it, every time I heap it on to my plate.... Amma made me a huge pack when I started from India and it lasted for almost an year :-) .... Whenever I popped out the packet... I could feel her in it... It reminds me of the day she made this podi, the whole house was filled with that aroma... she had that fragrance all over her for that entire day.... "Miss you so much amma.... Wish you were here with me......" 


After running out of stock, I finally decided to prepare them according to this, as it was with the tag of MTR style.... They came out well, but I still felt that they couldn't match my amma's podi.... I think that it was her love for me that made it extra special.... Nevertheless, mine was tasty and he was ready to vouch for it.....

You will need.........

Urad dhal - 1/2 cup
Dry red chilli - 10
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Hing - 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
Oil - 1.5 tsp



Get going..........

Heat a kadai with 1 tsp oil. Add the urad dhal and saute them until they turn golden brown. Set aside in a plate. In the same kadai, add red chilli along with curry leaves. Saute them until they turn crisp for about 2-3 min. Transfer them to the same plate with dhal. Allow them to cool. In the same kadai, add the remaining oil and pop the mustard seeds when the oil becomes hot. Set it aside.

When the ingredients in the plate cool down, take them in a blender along with salt and hing. Blend it to a near coarse powder. Add in the mustard seeds. Pulse it once or twice. Spread it in a plate, allow it to cool and transfer it to an air tight container...


Enjoy it with your favourite idli's or spread them over dosa's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog....
It would be greatly appreciated if you could leave your comments which are valuable to me..........

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...