8 Dec 2012

Jeeraka Kuzhambu


I saw 'The Hours' today.... The movie was quite good.... but I think I'm getting obsessed with Meryl Streep.... what an actor............. unbelievable.... Now I've started to look out more for her movies... Yes I'm completely mesmerised with her performance skills.... how could an actor do hundred percent justice to the character or even more!!! I was first taken aback by watching her in'The Devil wears Prada', then 'Doubt' followed by 'Its Complicated', 'Mamma Mia', 'Julie and Julia'........ and list is on and on.... Now lets just jump on to the recipe before I just go on....... on my admiration for her.....

This Jeeraka Kuzhambu' which I came across here caught my attention not only because of its shots... but it was very simple enough for me to give it a quick try.... It has no onions, no tomatoes and no pepper (since almost all puli kuzhambu's will never keep it off!!!!)... It can be stored for upto a week.... Though it falls under the puli kuzhambu's family... its worth a try b'cos it tastes different......



You will need..........

Tamarind - lemon sized (soak in warm water and extract pulp)
Garlic - a handful of pods
Sambhar powder - 3 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 3 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin - 3 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Toor dhal - 2 tsp


Get going..........

  1. Roast 3 tsp of cumin and toor dhal in a tsp of oil. Cool and grind it into fine powder.
  2. Heat a kadai with remaining oil and season it with mustard, fenugreek and 1/2 tsp of cumin.
  3. Then add the garlic pods and saute for a minute.
  4. Add in the tamarind pulp along with salt and bring it to boil.
  5. Then add in sambhar powder and bring it to boil again.
  6. Now add in the ground powder and simmer it till oil is let out on the sides. The gravy would have thickened by then. Switch off the stove.


Enjoy it with rice and pappad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog....
It would be greatly appreciated if you could leave your comments which are valuable to me..........

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...