This is one of the best recipes I've ever come across.... I was actually thrilled to see a healthier version of murukku and wanted to give it a try :-) You won't believe it.... it's main ingredient is wheat flour... and over that its not dipped into oil. Doesn't this sound amazing??? The original recipe is here. Hats off to her for bringing out this wonderful snack. IT IS Murukku with no compromise in taste..... do try it and sure it will sit in your list of keepers.
Wheat flour - 1 cup
Roasted gram dhal - 1/2 cup
Rice flour - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Butter - 4 tbsp
Water - 1/2 cup
- Grind roasted gram dhal and cumin to a fine powder.
- To this add wheat flour, salt, baking powder, chilli powder and rice flour. Mix everything well.
- Now add the butter and combine it to form a bread crumb texture to the dough.
- Now sprinkle water and make it into a cookie dough consistency. The dough will be a little hard than the usual one.
- Divide the dough into portions. Place them in the murukku press.
- Grease a baking tray with few drops of oil. Press murukku's in a single layer on the tray.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20 mins in 160deg.
Enjoy the murukku's with a cup of coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!